Emergency Dentist Services in Monroe, MI
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail,” said Benjamin Franklin. He most likely wasn’t talking specifically about dental emergencies, but who knows?
If you have ever experienced a dental emergency, you know they are inconvenient at best. But there is no harm done in being prepared for when the moment strikes. Knowing what to do versus finding the best answer on Google during a crisis could be the key to saving or permanently damaging your smile.
Perhaps you went to Monroe, Michigan, for a weekend trip with some friends and stumbled and fell on your way home? Or maybe the kids played an innocent baseball game on the weekend that quickly turned into a parent’s nightmare? It could even be a severe toothache that keeps you up all night. These things most certainly never happen during your dentist’s regular business hours.
First things first, Don’t Panic!
Take a deep breath and keep reading our step-by-step instructions for common dental issues and dental emergencies:
- Make an appointment to see a dentist during regular hours.
- Fill the sensitive hole left behind with orthodontic wax.
- Rinse with warm water to dislodge debris.
- Gently floss and brush.
- Apply an ice pack to control swelling.
- Take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.
- If the pain persists, call an emergency dentist.
- If the pain goes away, follow up with your dentist during regular hours.
Something Stuck In Teeth
- Gently remove debris using dental floss.
- Do not use a knife or other sharp object.
Chipped or Cracked Tooth
- Save all the pieces of your tooth.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Apply an ice pack to reduce swelling.
- Take an over-the-counter pain medication.
- Avoid crunchy foods, sugary snacks, and anything too hot or cold.
- Call your dentist for an appointment during regular working hours.
- Hold the tooth by the crown, not by the root.
- Rinse the tooth with milk or cold water.
- Replace the tooth in the empty socket and gently bite down on a clean cloth.
- If not possible, place the tooth in some milk or between the cheek and teeth of your mouth.
- Call your emergency dental practice right away.
Mouth Is Bleeding
- Switch to a softer toothbrush. Visit your dentist to discuss treatments.
- Elevate head.
- Apply pressure to help control the bleeding.
- If bleeding has lasted longer than 24 hours, make an emergency dentistry appointment.
- Apply ice or a cold compress.
- Elevate head.
- Stay hydrated until your dentist gets a chance to see you.
- If you think you broke your jaw, go to the Emergency Room immediately.
- If you experienced trauma to your jaw:
- Call your dental clinic.
- Place an ice pack to reduce swelling.
- Do not eat any solid food.
Call Your Emergency Dentist in Monroe, Michigan
Not all dental professionals offer emergency dental care. That’s why it is always safe to find an emergency dentist in Monroe, MI, as a backup plan if your dentist can’t schedule an appointment in a dental emergency.
At Smile Zone Dental, we are proud to offer same-day emergency appointments and are available seven days a week. We care about your oral health and want to help quickly before your dental problems worsen.