Dental Care Tips to Improve Your Health
Did you know that taking care of your teeth can improve the health of your whole body? When your dental health is poor, it can affect your heart, cause respiratory infections including pneumonia, and even contribute to the development of dementia. What can you do to improve your health? Improve your dental care. Here are some concrete steps you can take for improving dental health.
- Brush properly. Brush twice a day, for at least two minutes. Use gentle, circular motions to remove plaque before it can harden and lead to gingivitis, the early stage of gum disease. Never go to bed without flossing, because food left on your teeth overnight can lead to tooth decay. Replace your toothbrush when it starts to look frayed, at least every three to four months.
- Be vigilant about flossing. Consider flossing to be just as important as brushing. In addition to removing food from between your teeth, flossing stimulates the gums, reduces plaque, and helps lower inflammation in your mouth. You only need to floss once a day, and if you have difficulty sticking to it, try using ready-to-use dental flossers to make it easier.
- Don’t forget your tongue. Plaque builds up on your tongue as well as your teeth, leading to bad breath and poor dental health. You can clean your tongue using your toothbrush, or use a scraper specifically designed for that purpose.
- Eat a better diet. Fresh, crunchy produce is good for helping clean your teeth. Produce, yogurt, and cheese boost not only your tooth health but also your overall health. However, sugary, processed foods convert to acid in your mouth, eroding the enamel of your teeth. Be mindful: even some healthy foods can damage your enamel, like acidic fruits and teas. Drink plenty of water, and drink it after every meal, to help wash off some of the acid and sticky food before the next time you brush.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste. With so many options available, which kind of toothpaste should you choose? No matter which kind you prefer, make sure to choose toothpaste with fluoride. Fluoride fights germs and provides a protective barrier for your teeth.
- See your dentist regularly. Getting twice yearly cleanings and checkups helps keep your teeth healthy, and your dentist can catch problems early for more effective treatment.
At Smile Zone Dental, we provide a broad range of dental services in addition to general care like teeth cleanings and oral exams. Services like cosmetic dentistry, restorative services, and dentures are all designed to help you maintain good oral health and a beautiful smile. Dental care at our clinics is performed by doctors with years of education, training, and hands-on experience, using the latest in techniques and technology. Our friendly office staff and compassionate dental assistants will make you feel comfortable, confident that you’re receiving the very best dental care. We have locations in Canton, Fort Gratiot, and Monroe to serve you- contact us through our website to learn more.